Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Blessed are...

Turning from Self

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”
Matthew 5:6

The criticism is sometimes leveled against Christianity that it is, fundamentally, a selfish faith. You can see where the idea comes from. Many of the most popular hymns and songs seem to have an unhealthy preoccupation with the self. For example, “And Can It Be?” is a stirring affirmation of the saving work of Christ, but it does concentrate upon the first person singular. “My chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.” Without further explanation, personal piety can easily come across as being selfish. It’s as though the world does not exist. All that seems to matter is my relationship to Christ. And so I sing about my forlorn condition, apart from grace; I mourn my sinful state; then, I rejoice to learn the story of salvation. Christ dies for me – I shall live forever. It does sound like it’s all about me!

Of course this is a caricature of true Christianity. I must deal with my sin as an individual for the very good reason that it is my sin that I must confess. And I must come to my Savior as an individual, since the punishment that He bore was mine. However, if my faith remains focused upon myself then it cannot bear fruit. As I grow in Christ, I learn to think less and less of myself and more and more of my Savior. At the same time, I am to become more aware of those who share my condition, and to reach out to them with the blessings of the Gospel. Following the example of Christ, I am to turn from self and pour out my life in the service of others. So it is that, in the fourth Beatitude, Jesus begins to move from the blessedness that arises from poverty of spirit, personal loss, and humility, to a blessing that requires community. If I am really to hunger and thirst for righteousness, then I cannot do so alone.

Lord God,
Release me from the introspection
that cares only for my own desires.
Teach me the liberty of service,
the joy of finding and of doing Your will.
Make me secure in the righteousness that is Your gift,
then help me to share it with others.
For Your love’s sake.
Amen.

No comments: