Saturday, February 14, 2009

Blessed are...

Coming Home

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:3

Believing himself entitled to an inheritance, the Prodigal Son took his share of his father’s estate and set off for a distant country.[1] But, like so many others, he squandered his resources on wild living until he had nothing left. When famine came to that country he found himself in such dire need that he hired himself out to a pig farmer; but the wages were so low that he still went hungry. One day, as he was eyeing the pods that the pigs were devouring, the young man came to his senses. He said to himself, “How many of my father’s hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’”

The Prodigal Son’s problems began when he thought too highly of himself. When his self-image was gilded with thoughts of entitlement he got into trouble. It was only when he came to his senses, when he admitted that his behavior had been wrong, that his darkness was turned to light. Only when he saw that he did not deserve to be called ‘son,’ when he swallowed his pride and set off home, did he find the peace for which he had been searching. And how his father welcomed him! The best robe was placed about his shoulders, a ring was put upon his finger and sandals upon his feet. The fattened calf was killed in celebration. Why?

The father celebrated because his son had come home. And our Father celebrates when, empty-handed and stripped of all our pride, we finally make our way home.



Father God,
I know that my rebellion came close to breaking Your heart.
My foolish pride led me to lose all of the blessings that once were mine,
but I did not lose Your love.
Now that I am home, remind me that it was love that drew me here,
although I am far from lovely.
I rejoice, daily, in the blessing of belonging to Your heavenly Kingdom.
In the name of Jesus.
Amen.




[1] Luke 15:11-31

No comments: