Friday, February 13, 2009

Blessed are...

The Pharisee’s Prayer

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:3

“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.”[1] In Jesus’ story it is the Pharisee, the man who is so sure of his pedigree before God, that is condemned. The Pharisee feels that he has the right to stand in the most prominent place. He recounts his good deeds, the many ways he is so much better than others. He even sneers at the tax collector, standing at the back of the room: “God I thank You that I am not like other men…”[2] Conversely, the tax collector is well aware of his sin. He is not altogether sure that it is right for him even to be seen in the temple. The best he can do is to beat his breast and to plead for mercy. He has no doubts, he is a sinner in need of grace.

Jesus leaves us without any room for misunderstanding. It is the tax collector who goes home justified, made right with God, not the Pharisee. Without humility none of us can hope to enter the Kingdom of heaven. When we approach God’s mercy seat, there to receive the forgiveness for which we long, we must empty ourselves of any sense of self-approval. We have no right to be there. We are spiritually bankrupt, and no sleight of hand will save us. We cannot file for the protection of our assets, because we have none. Only as we come to God with the open and empty hands of faith are we ready to receive the gift of salvation. Only as we see ourselves as we really are – rebels without a hope – will we recognize our need for a Savior. God still has mercy on the humble, on those who know true poverty of spirit.



Lord God,
I confess that I have been tempted to play the Pharisee’s prayer,
to thank You, and congratulate myself, that I am not like others.
I have even caught myself thanking You that I am not like the Pharisee.
Forgive me.
Bring me down low, then raise me up as a citizen of Your gracious Kingdom.
Through Christ my Lord.
Amen.





[1] Luke 18:10
[2] Luke 18:11

No comments: