Saturday, February 16, 2013

Unity in Christ


Saturday, February 16, 2013

I Peter 5:1-4 | Psalm 23 | Matthew 16:13-19

ONE FOR ALL, AND ALL FOR ONE

“I for My part declare to you, you are ‘Rock,’ and on this rock I will build My Church, and the jaws of death shall not prevail against it. I will entrust to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven.” - Matthew 16:18-19

The Lord wants us to be one as He and the Father are one (John 17:21). “It was in one Spirit” that we “were baptized into one body” (I Corinthians 12:13). The source, center, and culmination of our faith is receiving and being in unity, union, and communion with the Lord and each other.

The Lord has provided practical means for us to become one. He has given us His Church as a symbol of unity (see Matthew 16:18-19). Just as receiving Holy Communion is not merely a physical event but actually receiving grace through taking the tokens of the body and blood of Jesus, so our unity in the body of Christ is more than belonging to a club of like-minded individuals; at least it should be. Our unity is based on our relationship with Christ in love, submission, and obedience. We are one with and in Christ. We are one because we have believed the same eternal truth. We are one with each other. Let us celebrate our unity, and let us make it real.

Prayer: Father, make us one by Your standards and in Your ways.


No comments: