Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter Day, April 4, 2010


I Know That My Redeemer Lives


I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God.
Job 19:25, 26

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.
I Corinthians 15:20


In the most unexpected of places, God cultivates hope. Surely, we would never have looked for the promise of new life in the chronicle of Job. He lost everything – his fortune and his home, his family and his health. All that Job had left was an assortment of odd friends who offered him bad advice. There was no word of hope for this, most afflicted of prophets. He would have been better off dying, at least then his misery would have ended. And yet, hidden within its sorrowful pages, the book of Job brings light to the darkness. “I know,” he seems to sing, defiantly, “that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth.” Though he did not fully understand his prophetic words, Job looked forward to an empty tomb, and to the resurrection of the Son of God.

On the third day,[1] the first day of the week, women came to the tomb to anoint Jesus’ body, a task they could not have performed on the Jewish Sabbath. But, when they arrived, they found that the stone that had sealed the tomb had been rolled away. Angels, in white, greeted them, but the women scarcely knew what to believe. Later,[2] Peter and John came running to see what had happened. John ran on ahead, and then hesitated. Peter ran past him into the open tomb and found the graveclothes, folded but empty. Hope lifted up its head.

Mary Magdalene,[3] still in shock, wept at the loss of her Lord. Once again, angels comforted her; but it was only when she turned to speak to a man she took to be a gardener that the reality of what had happened came to her. “Mary,” He said. And Mary realized that this was no gardener, it was the Lord. By His rising, hope – once hidden- flooded her world with light. Sorrow was banished. Death was overcome by joy unspeakable.

Every claim Christ ever made was proven on that day. Every command He ever issued was underlined. Every promise was written bold. For Christ was risen, the firstfruits of those who have fallen into the sleep of death. Today, we repeat the refrain with joy: Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia!

Risen Lord,
I greet You with joy,
for You have overcome the power of death and drawn its sting.
Death’s shackles could not hold You. You’re alive!
And so, I live in hope: after my flesh has been destroyed I shall see You.
With my own eyes I shall see You.
Alleluia and Amen.



[1] Matthew 28:1
[2] John 20:3f
[3] John 20:10

No comments: