Wednesday, May 07, 2008

In Search of the Unchurched Part III


IN SEARCH OF THE UNCHURCHED

Chapter 5 Ministry beyond Members

How do effective congregations respond to the needs in their communities while still meeting those of their own members?
It’s all about:

Action, Attitudes and Activities
The responses of effective churches to their communities are as varied as those communities, yet they share common characteristics:

1. Outreach-oriented congregations are motivated to extend mission beyond current membership.
- intentional about being inviting.
- Programs and marketing without a change in attitude usually accomplish little.
Are we more inclined to use a ‘magic pill’ approach to evangelism than to seek to change attitudes?

2. Outreach-oriented congregations seek local, contextual answers.
- learn all they can about their communities.
- Always adapt resources for their context.
- Know the difference between renting space to outside groups, and being involved with people.
How can we convert presence evangelism opportunities into Great Commission outreach? How can we increase the number of first-person contacts?

3. Outreach-oriented congregations meet people’s needs, not needs of the organizational structure.
- focus on people, not on structure.
- Motivate members to support mission, not infrastructure.
When we recruit volunteers, do we emphasize what the church needs, or how we can help people?

4. Outreach-focused congregations organize around mission, not structure.
- remove structural barriers to ministry.
- More interested in ministry than in micro-management.
Are we more interested in structural control, or in letting the Spirit move us in new ways? Do we sometimes let operational problems interfere with ministry opportunities?

5. Outreach-focused congregations use members’ gifts in new ministries.
- make extensive use of spiritual gifts.
- Operate a ‘priesthood of all believers.’
How could we encourage the use of skills and gifts to meet needs in the community?

6. Outreach-focused congregations see clergy and laity as partners.
- see clergy and laity as partners.
- develop an atmosphere of trust.
Do we have hidden obstacles that prevent members from undertaking tasks traditionally reserved for clergy?

7. Outreach-focused congregations value ‘mistakes.’
- not afraid to attempt new things.
- Learn from their missteps.
Can you name any mistakes from which we have learned recently? Why not?

8. Outreach-focused congregations care for people.
- seek to provide places of healing and hope.
- love takes precedence over judgment.
Why would a person who gave up on organized religion years ago return to our congregation?


What Motivates Great Commission Congregations?
- not growth, but people.
- growth as by-product of focus on people.
What are we focused upon?

Expanding the Reach of Congregations
- actively establish a variety of programs as entry points.
- Social activities used as opportunities to build relationships with the unchurched.
How could we expand our reach?

Igniter Events
- most have experienced significant events that have changed the emphasis of ministry.
- igniter events, positive or negative, involve a large number of people.
- igniter events fundamentally alter how a congregation thinks about its ministry.
Have we experienced any kind of igniter event?

How many of the characteristics of Great Commission congregations apply to our church? How could we develop these characteristics?



Chapter Six The Unchurched: Who are They?
- not necessarily people without faith.
- not necessarily those who will be attracted by traditional forms of church communication.

The Effectively Unchurched
- 50% of population of the US.
- some are not members of any congregation.
- some are inactive members of churches in different States.
- Some are inactive or lapsed members of churches in communities in which they live.
- 70-80% of effectively unchurched people say that faith is important in their lives.
- 40-60% pray daily or weekly.
- 30-50% read the Bible regularly.
- May not be asking salvation questions, as much as wanting to know what they can do to make life work.
Are we answering questions that the unchurched are not asking?

Reasons for Leaving and Motivation to Return

Why do people leave the church?
- been hurt by insensitivity at time of trial.
- harsh treatment by members and clergy.
- hypocrisy
- theological belligerence
- sexual harassment
- bias
- bigotry.
What would make them want to return?
- Scripture-based teaching.
- Good music.
- Moving worship.
- Programs for children.
However, most of those who have been hurt have no intention of returning.
Only traumatic life events will drive them back to church.
The church must be ready to respond at these times.
Are we doing a good enough job at reaching out to those who return following a traumatic event in their lives?

Other Reasons for Leaving
- 50% of formerly churched people simply dropped out when they moved away.
- 50% of formerly churched people simply dropped out without moving.
- 30 million Boomers drifted away. They are now having grandchildren who have never been in a church.
- Retirement communities often contain large numbers of those who have retired from the church.

After They are in the Door
Effective congregations do more than offer old-fashioned new member classes. There must be an intentional attempt to integrate newcomers into the life of the congregation.
One possible pattern:
1. Discover the Congregation.
2. Discover Maturity in Faith.
3. Discover Ministry to Others.
4. Discover Mission in our Backyard.

How effective are our attempts at new member integration?
How could we listen to the hopes and dreams of the unchurched in our community?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I am almost finished with the book, after my time at the gym today. Between this book and some other things I am reading, I really just want to do so much more than I really am probably able to!

Part of me so wishes I'd have gone into ministry as my chosen career field much earlier, and concentrated my education there so that I could be a "real" vocational ministry-type person--and devote all of my working time to trying to get out there and make a difference. Truly, it is where my heart is, and what I'd like to spend my time on. Back then, having been a part of a tradition where you really never saw females much in ministry, it just never occurred to me that I could choose this for my career.
Of course, though I'd like to not have to divide my work time between the church and the hospital, I can see where it is part of the Lord's plan, because I am able to be "out there" in the world, building relationships with many unchurched people through the years during my time working in the secular world. Sort of like when I'd come home from college during the summer to work at Wal Mart when all my friends were summer missionaries--I envied them, but always believed my mission field was at Wal-Mart 781.
As I read this book (and others) it just really starts my mind to turning on so, so many things I'd like to be doing. I, of course, want to apply Great Commission thinking and attitudes toward my youth work, and extend that into the college students I may be able to work with as well. But, I also have a heart for young adults, moms, etc. sort of like I am (I think I still qualify as young, at least for a year or so!)and all of the other people I work with or come into contact with and would love to be able to work on something to draw them to Christ and to His Church. I have 80zillion ideas running through my head, and not nearly enough talent, skills, or time to be able to do them all!
I better stop before this comment becomes longer than your blog, Alan! Didn't mean to hijack it, but I am just very motivated and excited and want so much to be a part of this Great Commission we have been given...there is nothing cooler than to have a front row seat and getting to see up close and personal what the Lord is doing and wants to do in our world. Thanks for leading us in this study that invites us to take that front row seat!

Stacy said...

I am almost finished with the book, after my time at the gym today. Between this book and some other things I am reading, I really just want to do so much more than I really am probably able to!

Part of me so wishes I'd have gone into ministry as my chosen career field much earlier, and concentrated my education there so that I could be a "real" vocational ministry-type person--and devote all of my working time to trying to get out there and make a difference. Truly, it is where my heart is, and what I'd like to spend my time on. Back then, having been a part of a tradition where you really never saw females much in ministry, it just never occurred to me that I could choose this for my career.
Of course, though I'd like to not have to divide my work time between the church and the hospital, I can see where it is part of the Lord's plan, because I am able to be "out there" in the world, building relationships with many unchurched people through the years during my time working in the secular world. Sort of like when I'd come home from college during the summer to work at Wal Mart when all my friends were summer missionaries--I envied them, but always believed my mission field was at Wal-Mart 781.
As I read this book (and others) it just really starts my mind to turning on so, so many things I'd like to be doing. I, of course, want to apply Great Commission thinking and attitudes toward my youth work, and extend that into the college students I may be able to work with as well. But, I also have a heart for young adults, moms, etc. sort of like I am (I think I still qualify as young, at least for a year or so!)and all of the other people I work with or come into contact with and would love to be able to work on something to draw them to Christ and to His Church. I have 80zillion ideas running through my head, and not nearly enough talent, skills, or time to be able to do them all!
I better stop before this comment becomes longer than your blog, Alan! Didn't mean to hijack it, but I am just very motivated and excited and want so much to be a part of this Great Commission we have been given...there is nothing cooler than to have a front row seat and getting to see up close and personal what the Lord is doing and wants to do in our world. Thanks for leading us in this study that invites us to take that front row seat!